About District

Longding District was once a part of Tirap frontier agency which was created in 1943 covering some areas from Lakhimpur Frontier Track and Sadiya Frontier Track with administrative Headquarters at Margherita town in Assam. TFA was under the charge of a political Officer.

The Tirap Frontier Agency was later renamed as Tirap Frontier Division under North East Frontier Agency, Administration Regulation, 1954 and administrative headquarters was shifted from Margherita to Khela which was again later shifted to its present site at Khonsa for administrative convenience. The Tirap Frontier Division was later bifurcated into two Districts namely Tirap and Changlang in 1965.The Longding district became a full-fledged district after bifurcating from Tirap district on 19th March 2012.